MChem Yr4 Project Execution
|Unit level:||Level 4|
|Teaching period(s):||Full year|
|Offered by||School of Chemistry|
|Available as a free choice unit?:||N
- developing a research strategy with requisite supervision
- writing a detailed scientific report with full bibliography
- presentation and viva voce (interview) examination on the project work.
Students studying in the 4th year of an MChem programme will undertake a major individual research project under the supervision of a member of academic staff. Students will be associated with a research group and will be supported by regular meetings with the project supervisor.
Given the varied nature of the research projects the type of work will differ between students.
- Undertake a substantial research project with a high degree of autonomy
- Produce an detailed scientific report on their research
- Display their knowledge of the research topic and defend their course of investigation in an oral examination.
- Practical skills assessment - 100%
Dependent on the project undertaken
In addition to regular informal meetings with the supervisor and research group, there are 6 formal meetings which are specifically designed for feedback on practical work, written work and preparation for presentation and viva.
- Practical classes & workshops - 105.6 hours
- Project supervision - 6.6 hours
- Independent study hours - 87.8 hours