International Students

There are multiple opportunities available for international students in addition to the general information available in other sections of the main Career Planning pages.

Finding work during your studies

Having international experience already leaves a positive impression on employers. However, you can impress them even more by getting work experience during your studies. This can be part-time jobs, volunteering, vacation placements, or internships. Remember you have to be aware about working in the UK and if doing so apply for a National Insurance number.

Working in the UK after study

Students will have to apply for a working visa which are mostly classified into four types:

Tier 1 - Graduate Entrepreneur - for starting a business in the UK
Tier 2 - Employer sponsored visa
Tier 4 - Doctoral Extension Scheme for PhD students
Tier 5 - Short term career related experience in the UK

For further advice or guidance, please visit the Advice and Help page.

International Careers

This is for those of you who wish to pursue a career in your home country or elsewhere outside the UK. Employers will not only want to know about what you have studied at University, but also your cultural awareness and adaptability to multiple working environments.

To be successful, it is important for you to be proactive and build awareness of international job markets whilst polishing your transferrable skills.

There are multiple services available in CareersLink for careers advice and checking country-specific applications. Details on finding vacancies and working abroad are also available through the following:

  • Going Global - This organisation is utilised by global universities including those in the UK. Login to careersLink and read their specific careers guides and job country postings. CareersLink continues to be available to students for a further 2 years after graduation.
  • Work and Study Overseas - these Careers Service pages include detailed information on working in over 20 different regions, and the main companies and industries you will find there.
  • AGCAS Country Guides for International Students - these offer practical advice to international students who have chosen to return to their home country to look for work. Each country guide includes key facts about current trends and jobs, advice about seeking employment, hints and tips for making a successful application, and helpful information sources.

PhD and Postgraduate Study

The School of Chemistry offers Taught degrees. These all last for one year, and you will have to pay tuition fees. Also, the Postgraduate Study Fair is held every year in Manchester at Manchester Central, featuring over 50 higher education institutions from both the UK and abroad.

There are multiple PhD programmes offered in the School of Chemistry. Details can be found under the School section of Studentships

Language Support

The University language centre offers courses designed to help students to learn and improve in all areas of English.  They recruit highly qualified teachers who will guide your learning using a variety of methods, ensuring you have every opportunity to reach your potential.  To register for the sessions, you will need to complete the online diagnostic test. Once completed, it will advise you as to whether you need to attend these sessions or not.  The classes are free of charge for Manchester University students, and usually begin during the second week of October. Take a look at the website for detailed information; timetables and registration links will be updated at the start of September.

International Society

The International Society organises various events and activities for all international students. These are perfect opportunities to meet with students and alumni from other countries and thus expand your global network. 

▲ Up to the top