Communicating with Confidence
|Unit level:||Level 2|
|Teaching period(s):||Semester 1|
|Offered by||Alliance Manchester Business School|
|Available as a free choice unit?:||Y
Do you long to be able to communicate within challenging and stressful situations? Do you dread presentations or just wish that you could present with more impact? Do you fear job interviews or ever find yourself getting tongue tied, with sweaty palms? If so, this course could be exactly what you need?
The course draws on the theory and practice of communication, body language and leadership, using techniques from the world of theatre and acting to help participants learn how to manage nerves, communicate effectively and engage with a wide variety of audiences.
A range of theories and techniques will be introduced and mastered through practice, using an interactive and participative approach. The learning process will be organic, and tailored to suit the needs and experiences of the students, who over the duration of the course will work towards producing a performance that allows them to put into practice the many skills that they will have learnt.
This unit will be extremely useful for participants in terms of communicating within a professional or personal context, aims to provide participants with the skills and confidence that will allow them to communicate, inform, inspire and motivate. and will be of great benefit when presenting, and communicating, within the University, at job interviews, and in the workplace.
- An awareness of their own presentation style and of how this style might be perceived by others;
- An awareness of the key aspects of successful and impactful communication and presentations;
- An awareness of their own personal values and assumptions, and of how these impact upon their personal communication and its effectiveness;
- The development of a clear and articulate speaking voice;
- The development of presence in front of an audience;
- Skills in communicating for a variety of types and size of audience;
- Skills in working as part of a team;
- Skills in the ability to influence and persuade an audience;
- Skills in effective working within a team context;
- Skills and confidence in speaking in public;
- An awareness of how to communicate complex data;
- Practical skills in preparing and delivering presentations;
- Understanding of the use of social media as an effective communication tool;
- Skills and confidence in performing on a stage and in front of an audience.
- Analytical skillsSkills in reflection, analysis and critique
- Group/team workingSkills in presenting data to an audience and in communicating with confidence and influence
- Oral communicationSkills in communicating with confidence in challenging situtations
- OtherSkills in interview technique
- Written assignment (inc essay) - 50%
- Oral assessment/presentation - 50%
Additional reading material will be suggested in each lecture.
- Practical classes & workshops - 24 hours
- Independent study hours - 76 hours