From January 2012, the Facility at Manchester has five spectrometer platforms, allowing continuous wave (c.w.) EPR at L, S, X, K, Q and W-band and pulsed EPR at S, X and Q-band. These are:
- EMX with 1.8 T electromagnet; for c.w. L-, X-, K- and Q-band.
- Elexsys E580 with 1.8 T electromagnet; for c.w. and pulsed S- and Q-band.
- Elexsys E580 with 1.8 T electromagnet; for c.w. and pulsed X-band.
- Elexsys E600 with 6 T superconducting magnet, for c.w. W-band.
- EMX Micro X-band with 1.0 T electromagnet , for c.w. X-band EPR (77 K and above).
Available pulsed techniques are listed here.
- sample cooling (to 1.8 K at X-band; 4.2 K for other frequencies)
- sample heating (to 500 K) at X-band
- single crystal mounts and goniometers
- parallel and perpendicular mode modulation at X-band
- in situ electrochemical generation at all frequencies
- in situ photolysis (X-, S- and Q-band) using a ND-YAG Minilite laser (harmonics of 1064 nm, 100 mJ max power, 1-15 Hz) and spin echo detection
The Facility has a sample preparation room available in the PSI, equipped with fume hood and Schlenck line, and also full access to the chemical laboratories in the adjacent School of Chemistry. Therefore, we can handle a wide range of sample types, including samples that are sensitive to temperature, atmosphere, light, solvent loss, and a wide range of sample hazards, including toxic, biological and low-level radioactive materials.
Collaborative arrangements to other experiments:
Through established arrangements, the Facility will also help arrange access to:
- Pulsed W-band spectroscopy, with Drs A. Ardavan and J. Harmer in the University of Oxford CAESR group.
- Pulsed methods, including at high frequency, with Dr G. Smith at the St Andrews HIPER project.
- Very high frequency (53 GHz to >1 THz; 0 – 16 T; 1.5 to 280 K) c.w. EPR, with Dr A-L. Barra of the LNCMI (high magnetic field laboratory) CNRS in Grenoble.
- Frequency domain EPR (100 – 850 GHz; 1.8 – 300 K) spectrometer, with Prof J. van Slageren, University of Stuttgart.
Predefined 1D and 2D programs with graphical user interface
2 and 3-Pulse ESEEM
Saturation recovery ELDOR
Pulse program library for Pulse-ENDOR (not S-band)
Nuclear spin FID and echo detection
Hyperfine selective ENDOR
Nuclear spin nutation spectroscopy
ENDOR induced EPR
Multiple quantum ENDOR with TPPI detection
Pulse program library for user defined pulse sequences
Spin echo detected field sweep spectrum
PEANUT nutation spectroscopy
Inversion and saturation recovery
Coherent Raman beat detection
Extended time excitation
All experiments as delay after flash with external trigger
Pulse program library for Pulse-ELDOR
ELDOR detected NMR
Hyperfine selective ENDOR